So many options...
A:Building a physical face on the puppet
- Pros: Simple. Reliable. Always stays fixed on the face.
- Cons: Needs still more operators to make it work in an already crowd ground crew.
(photos Michelle McFarlane)
B:Projecting one from the ground that can be controlled from the operating desk and automatically tracking it to the head.
- Pros: Easy to set up control.
- Cons: Hard to convincingly projec t the face as it turns to profile. Auto tracking seems a bit inconsistant and laggy.
C:Mounting a projector inside the head itself that can be controlled remotely from the operating desk.
- Pros: Animated face will allways line up perfectly with the physical face.
- Cons: Battery powered projectors are relatively dim compared to AC ones (like 50 lumens compared to 10,000).
- Pros: Takes advantage the best of all possibilities.
- Cons: Too many options.
We also just addded a buch of coloured lights into the puppet which changes things a bit (making the non-brightness of the battery projector even more of an issue).
Tending towards option D but head awhirl with the possibilies. Whichever way we end up going Ive had a ball playing around with it.